Situated on the right bank of the Vilcanota River (also known as the Urubamba), this area was originally inhabited by the Incas. According to legend, it was here where the best maize in all of the Andean territories grew. Later on, in 1536, the Spaniards founded Lamay. Nowadays, this tiny, attractive town still conserves its original touch.
Thanks to its excellent location (2,950 meters above sea level, and just 45 minutes from Cusco), it is an ideal place for travelers to acclimatize to the altitude.
Sites of interest in Lamay include:
The Viceroyal Church of Saint James the Apostle (1572):
A true emblem of the town of Lamay, this church, located in the main square, dates back to Colonial times.
Feast of Saint Rose of Lamay:
Guests planning to travel between August 30 and September 2 are strongly advised to make a stop in this town. The Feast of Saint Rose of Lamay, the year’s most important, is a celebration that pays tribute to the town’s patron saint. For four days, the town is filled with color and magic. The impressive dance troupes radiate an infectious energy, and the whole town is consumed by celebration, welcoming visitors with nonstop music and merriment until everyone drops from exhaustion.
Ruins of Huchuy Qosqo:
Just a 2- to 3-hour walk from the hotel, the name of this Incan archaeological complex means “Little Cusco,” due to the fact that the architectural layout of the structures here recalls that of Cusco. Built from stone and adobe assembled with exquisite attention to detail and a broad knowledge of architecture, its walls continue to withstand the inclement weather and the passage of time.